Monday, September 24, 2007

Book Club

So last Tuesday the childrens book club I go to started up it again. I hadn't realized how much I missed it during the summer. The book club is unique in that we don't read the book and talk about the deep meanings. We invite the authors to tell us how they came up with the idea to write the book and how they went getting it published and if they always knew that they wanted to be a writer. What is interesting is writers have a different way of thinking and it is cool to be let into their thoughts. The other thing about this book club is that it has been going on for 70 years. The lady in charge is 90 and she is great. No one is too important to ask to come and speak to us. The author we had come this time was K.L. Fogg. She has written Serpent Tide and Widow's Revenge. She lives here in Sandy. She was very interesting to listen to and how the hard part about being a writer is remembering to do the normal everyday things. She said that she gets caught up in a story and she has to set a timer or life will just past her by.

Last week I also went over to Dr. Powell's house and they were getting ready for the weekend where their stake had decided to pretend that they had no electricity and they had to sleep outside in their tent. This way they could see how prepared they would be if something were to happen and they actually had to use their 72 hour kits. I just think it is a very cool idea. I think it is also great that their kids are being taught young how to act if a disaster were to happen.

It is officially fall here in Utah. The first snow hit the mountains last night. I was thinking today if I liked spring or fall better and I really can't decide. I love spring because everything is turning green and babies are being born, it is the re-birth of things. I also love fall because of the colors and there is just this crisp air.

I have this new program that I am playing with where you can make collages. I seem to do better at scrapbooking on the computer. I started with Jason and Melissa's kids. So John and Carrie calm down I will get to your kids and post theirs. Hope you enjoy them.




2 comments:

Michelle said...

Brandon says...

Where was I when you started blogging...I'm still a crappy friend.

So would you like to write children's books? I learn all these new things on blogs, I guess that's the point.

How did your doctor's without borders thing go? Any blogs about that?

Unknown said...

Both you and Michelle are great friends!! I am not a writer. I think that is why I enjoy listening to writers because it is something I can't do. Just like being an artist or an amazing choir director or engineer. I can't imagine doing those things so I respect people who can and it is cool to understand how differently people process things.
You may get a blog about Dr. Powell going to Africa. It is hard putting other peoples stories down because I want to get it right.