Monday, February 8, 2010

What I think I have learned


So tomorrow I turn 30. I have a friend who told me that I needed to do this and that I would appreciate this years later :)

What I remember or lessons learned in the 30 years . Sorry but this is very random.


  • I change and I grow as a person but who I really am has not changed. I learned this going from high school to the University of Wyoming. I went to Wyoming and I had this thought that I could re-invent myself. No one knew me so I could be anybody I wanted to be. Within 6 weeks I realized I was still the same tomboy girl. That is when it hit me that I truly knew who I was.

  • The gospel has remained a consistent thing in my life. Something to almost count on. Knowing that no matter what someone is watching out for me and loves me unconditionally.

  • Family has evolved from mom and dad 2 brothers and a sister, grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousin to moms and dads, several brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles. Many of these are not related to me by blood but those who have claimed me as part of their family.

  • I love my job and I know this is where I need to be right now in my life. I love learning about medicine and how to help people. The human body is amazing and is just another testament to me that Heavenly Father knows what he is doing.

  • I miss horses. I miss being able to go out the door to go riding. It is one of the things I have promised myself to return to.

  • I have figured out that I don't mind being a follower but I naturally tend to take leadership roles because I refuse to be lead in the wrong direction.

  • I am a very, very, very competitive person but have learned how to relax or mentally prepare myself that it is "just a game"

  • I hope to be married and have kids but I am enjoying being single and realize that I am able to do a lot of different things because I am single. I only have myself to answer to and when I want to do something I am able to do it. There is a wonderful freedom in that.

  • I enjoy being out in nature and taking pictures of all God's creations.

  • I always claim Colorado as home and Wyoming as being the place where I became friends with some of the best people in the entire world.

  • I love music. I love just relaxing and listening. My favorite is piano and violin add the flute and bagpipes and I would be in heaven. Music makes my heart happy. One of these days I will learn how to play the piano.

  • I love going to the zoo. I know this is random but the zoo is one of my favorite places. But I have high expectations as well. I do not recommend the National Zoo in Washington DC. The Salt Lake City zoo is 10 times better.

  • I don't like it when people try to hold me or the people I care about back.

  • I prefer to travel the cool places in the States then to go outside the country.

  • I like to ask the question why. I may completely agree with whatever you did or are saying but I like to know how people think.
  • I am a morning person. I love sunrises and sunset.

  • I don't mind turning 30. I doesn't bother me at all but it does feel weird. I feel like high school was just a couple of years ago not 12.

Well I think that is all the soul searching that I can stand. Happy Birthday to Me!!! Supposedly I am an adult now(for real this time) :)




10 comments:

Tilly said...

what a lovely post.. you are a wonderful person too, you forgot to add that to the list!

happy day to you. 30 sounds like it will treat you well.

Tilly said...

oh funny--that was me, michelle. I must still be in tilly's account. she's brandon's grama and needed help with her blog last night. back to my normal identity soon!

Monica Hudson said...

There were some things in there that I've known for years (or at least suspected!) and some things that I would never have guessed. Great post - it was fun to delve into your mind a little bit. Love to you and the happiest of birthdays - I say 30 is the bomb! Bring it!

PS - thanks for adding our profile to your blog - I really appreciate the support! xoxo

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday Crystal! I loved the post. It's not very often that you get personal on here! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Megan said...

What wonderful insight! I hope you have a fabulous day and enjoy everything fantastic that comes with "being an adult"! Happy Birthday!!!

Harold or Carol said...

We still don't think you are an official adult. You have too much kid in you. Love ya daughter and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

CrazyBaseballMom said...

nice post! Happy Birthday! your handling 30 much better than I did..but then 30 was a shock on me.

Robin said...

Wow, that's awesome. I hope it's okay if I copy and do that on my blog. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating birthdays in elementary school.

Kim said...

That was a wonderful post. My favorite was that you lead because you refuse to be led in the wrong direction. I love that!

That is awesome that you added Monica's button to your blog. What a wonderful idea!

I'm glad that you are okay with being 30. I was too. 25 was hard but 30 was easy. Happy late birthday! I love ya!

Blakelee and Michael Ellis said...

Crystal, we really only see one side of each other at work. Amongst all the craziness there it's hard to connect and remember who a person is. You are fantastic. Sounds corny, but reading your insights was inspirational. You are wonderful. I miss having grey's nights with you. Love you