Sunday, February 8, 2009

Part 8 Niagara Falls

PART 8 NIAGARA FALLS STATE PARK:
This was maybe my favorite stop of the entire trip. I have always heard about how beautiful the falls are but people forgot to tell me how powerful they are. We stayed on the American side and rode the Maid of the Mist and did the Cave of the Winds. The Cave of the Winds was my favorite part because of the power. The falls are so powerful that at the bottom of them they create hurricane force winds. AWESOME POWER!! We were in the off season so the water coming down is about 1/2 of what it is in the peak of the summer and yet I couldn't even stand up straight without holding on to something. I can't imagine how much more powerful it would be in the summer time.
Here are just a few of the pictures I took. ENJOY!!!

Can you even picture 675,000 gallons yet imagine that many gallons every second?


Part of the Horseshoe falls

Canada and Horseshoe Falls
Mom and Dad on the Observation Deck. Dad and I are very proud of Mom. She is not a fan of boats or heights and yet she conquered both at the Falls!

American Falls, Bridal Falls, Horseshoe Falls
View from the Observation Deck
Horseshoe Falls from the bottom. Picture taken while we were on the Maid of the Mist.
It is very hard to capture a rainbow :)

Mom and Dad in the wonderful gear for the Maid of the Mist

Beginning of the Cave of the Winds. Making our way up to the Hurricane deck!
Half way up to the Hurricane Deck. This pathway takes you right to the bottom of the Falls. Very Cool!!!!

Mom was able to get a picture of me on the Hurricane Deck. The rain and the wind was awesome :) I completely got soaked. It is a good thing they provide everyone with sandals and yellow rain coat.
Next stop Kirtland, Ohio and Port Clinton, Ohio

5 comments:

Michelle said...

gasp! crystal those rainbows are incredible! wow wow wow.

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY! :) we'll try and call you later.

Monica Hudson said...

AWESOME!!!!!!! You could seriously publish a couple of those pics! Oh - now there is a WHOLE list of places we need to visit! xoxo

Danna said...

Wow, that rainbow is beautiful!

Kim said...

The pic of the rainbow is soo great! You are so lucky to get to go to such a beautiful place. Great job to your mom too!

Theturnerfamily5 said...

I want to go to there!